Friday, May 9, 2008

What's up?

I'm not getting this new blog off to a good start. I haven't had a whole lot to write about. This coming weekend is Megan's birthday. So I'll be spending much of the day with her tomorrow and tomorrow evening. She's had a tough week so I'm hoping she has a very good birthday "weekend." She's getting a massage and getting her hair done so I hope she has a great day getting pampered. Plus, I have another small surprise for her that I hope she enjoys (get your mind out of the gutter).

-As for me, the last month and a half has been stressful. Perhaps, "full" is the better term. I already wrote about my tests. Now I am on the tentative list to get on the Teacher Assessment Panel. The reason I'm on the tentative list is because I don't have my fingerprints done yet. I got through my job evaluation. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I anticipated, but my job situation hasn't changed. It's still frustrating, unfulfilling, and stressful.

-I've been coaching soccer at the church's Upward program the last month. The actual coaching and officiating is a ton of fun. What I don't enjoy is all the other things that go along with it, like having to make sure all the kids have equal playing time, making sure the parents bring their snacks and drinks for the kids, and things like that. It's not all bad. I actually enjoy making up the lineup each week. There are 2 halves, and 3 substitation periods in a half. I have 11 kids on my team so because there is an unequal amount of players, there is an unequal amount of playing time. It works out ok. The one thing I was concerned with going into this is angry/upset parents. This is an Upward program, which means that we don't keep score (although, honestly, I keep score to myself). I never let the kids know what the score is. I do worry about the parents knowing their kid's team is losing, and being unhappy about it. I worry about being the coach who "doesn't know what he's doing." But I love coaching. I have a blast during the games as if I was playing myself. It gets a little chaotic during substitution times. I wish we were playing more games though, and I also wish we had a midweek practice time. I've talked a little with Megan about possibly coaching little league soccer for some club team in Edmond or Yukon or thereabouts this fall or next spring. The only thing I ask myself is if I'm ready for angry parents and the scrutiny that comes along with it. Maybe I can get some more head coaching experience before I do that. Or I could simply be an assistant for a team, which would be good.

-My Morning Jacket is going to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live tomorrow. I probably won't be around to see it tomorrow night. Besides, I'm not sure I can sit through all the lame political humor in order to hear them.

No comments: